The nights are still cold, but the days are getting warmer.This weekend I spend hours and hours in my small and warm kitchen ,playing with flour, sugar, butter and more .. ; Here are some of the sweet things I've baked , for us and for you . let's start with an super easy recipe, for your kids or for you [you can print the recipe file and let them try and make this Apple pie by themselves or with mom's help] It's a small cake that can be eaten warm or cold. We love this apple pie !
APPLE “No Roll” Pie/Based on Home Baking org recipe - here's the full recipe in a PDF file פאי תפוחים
No Roll Crust:
1 ½ cups pastry or all purpose flour
1 tablespoon powdered sugar (optional)
½ teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
3-4 tablespoons ice water
Apple Pie Filling:*
6 peeled and sliced tart pie apples (5-6 cups)
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter
Crumble Topping: (use the full crumble topping if you like-with the 1/2 cup of flour)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter (=30 gr)
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, powdered sugar (optional) and salt. 2. Cut butter into pieces and place on top of the flour mixture.
3. Using a pastry blender, food processor, fork or two knives, cut the butter into
the flour until it’s in little pea-sized pieces throughout the flour.
4. Stir the vinegar into the ice water.
5. Sprinkle the ice water mixture over the flour mixture, tossing with a fork, until
the mixture begins to look crumbly. (But not wet or sticky.)
6. Pat dough into 9-inch pie pans or four small tins; press firmly into the bottom
of pan and up the sides, making sure it covers the whole pie pan. You
can crimp the sides of the dough
7. In mixing bowl mix toss apples with lemon juice.
8. Add to apples ½ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup cornstarch and 1 teaspoon cinnamon;stir.
9. Place filling in pie crust on baking pan. Dot with butter.
10. Mix Crumble Topping Ingredients ,and crumble the topping above the apple filling.(I use only half of the topping, as I write here, with 1/4 cup all-purpose flour ,1/4 cup sugar ...)
11. Bake at 375°F. 40-50 minutes. Full recipe:PDF file for printing too
More like a candy .. very sweet and rich in flavor. Cut small Bars so you'll get lot of sweet bars to eat or to give away. I like combining orange marmalade with dark chocolate , and I use the local chocolate chips I can find here ;And yes, the crunchy crumb topping is perfect !
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
200 gr cold butter
1 large egg, beaten
1 1/2 cups orange marmalade
1 cup - 160 gr White Morsels
1 cup - 160 gr Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
COMBINE flour, sugar and walnuts in large bowl. Cut in butter and egg with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the crumb mixture. Press remaining crumb mixture into prepared pan. Spread marmalade evenly over crumb mixture in pan, leaving 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle white morsels and semi-sweet morsels evenly over the marmalade. Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture evenly over the morsels.
BAKE for 45 to 50 minutes or until top is light brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Full recipe is here
הבלדה לשוטר - אושיק לוי